Study Tips From A Homeschooler.

September 02, 2015 Syz 9 Comments


Assalamualaikum (peace be upon you), first thing first, yes I am homeschooled. If you don't already know it, I have been homeschooled for about 5 years now. Now that I think about it, being a homeschooler have it's perks, like going on various field trips when everyone's stuck in school, the flexibility of my studying schedule etc. Two things that I learnt and benefited the most from my years of homeschooling are disciplines and being independent (although I still feel like I lack in both of them heh). Anyways, I thought I'd share some study tips, that (most of the time) works best for me. 

1. Before studying, make yourself a cup of tea/coffee/hot chocolate. Anytime you're feeling stressed out, just take a sip of your drink to calm yourself. You can't study with an anxious mind. Always have a bottle of water by your side, I repeat a bottle of water. It keeps you from feeling dehydrated and reduces the chance of you getting a headache. It somehow energizes me at times. I always like to start off with Bismillahirrahmanirrahim (In the name of Allah, the most Gracious, the most Merciful) and recite a few Du'as, like:

اللهُمَّ لا سَهْلَ إلا مَا جَعَلتَهُ سَهْلا وَ أنتَ تَجْعَلُ الحزْنَ إذا شِئْتَ سَهْلا
‘Allahumma la sahla illa ma ja’altahu sahla, wa ‘anta taj-alul hazna idha shi’ta sahla’
(O Allah! There is nothing easy except what You make easy, and You make the difficult easy if it be Your Will) Mishkat, Ibn Hibban 327, Ibn As-Sunni 351

رَّبِّ زِدۡنِي عِلۡمٗا
‘Rabbi Zidni Ilma’
(O my Lord increase me in knowledge) Al Quran, 20:114

رَبِّ اشْرَحْ لِي صَدْرِي. وَيَسِّرْ لِي أَمْرِي. وَاحْلُلْ عُقْدَةً مِّن لِّسَانِي . يَفْقَهُوا قَوْلِي
‘Rabbish rahli sadri, wa yassirli amri, wah lul uqdatan min lisaani, yaf kahu kauli’
(My Lord, put my heart at peace for me and make my task easy for me and remove the knot from my tongue, that they may understand my speech) Al Quran, 20:25-28


2. I find sleeping early and studying in the early morning to work out better than me staying up late studying. Cause I end up not remembering what I had studied, but then again this is my personal preference. Test it out, try sleeping early for once and wake up real early the next day to study.

3. If you suddenly feel all weak and sleepy but you know you're not tired, and your body's just acting up because you're bored, get up and splash cold water on your face

4. Have snacks on the side. Whether it's oreos, potato chips, chocolate, or fruits. Just have something to boost your energy. (But remember, control yourself with all the junk food kayyy).

5. Have a good breakfast. Yes, I know the struggle of having no time for breakfast or just the laziness of making one. Believe me, I've skipped enough breakfast to know that. But you HAVE to eat something, anything. You can also try this: make a yogurt parfait the night before and store it in the fridge, all you need to do the next day is to grab the parfait and eat it.
 [picture taken from google]

6. Have good notes. Use colourful post-it, higlighters, pens etc. When it's time for exams or if you have the need to revise something, your notes would simply be a pleasant place to refer to, not a file full of confusion.

7. Make a schedule. And follow it as best as possible, you might not be able to follow it 100% but it's the 80% (or sometimes 20%) effort that counts. This will help you manage your time and remind you of the things that needs to get done.

8. Kick procrastination's butt. Now this is a hard one, cause admit it, studying isn't really something you're willingly doing (unless if you're that kind of person, if you are, that's awesome). That's why we rather hold off our assignments/homework/revision while we take a "5 min break" a.k.a hours of the internet or a half-day sleep. Procrastination isn't something you can get rid off in a day, it takes time and effort. That's why it's best if you have a reason for the things you're doing. Every time you're thinking of procrastinating remind yourself of the reason and it should slap you back to reality (hopefully). 

That is all for now, hope it helps or motivate you in any way. I wish you all the best in your studies and remember, don't lose hope. With the help of Allah swt, if you have the determination, anything's possible! Feel free to comment some more tips if you have any :)

9 comments:

  1. u're so tough girl. susah kot nak homeschool lagi2 part kena disiplin tu >.<
    tips and tricks indeed helpfull untuk student yang dah masuk U.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha thank you! At first mmg susah, tapi it got easier after a year or two xD
      d'aww I'm glad it helped :)

      Delete
  2. perghh! how inspiring...try ikut

    ReplyDelete
  3. These tips are so nicely written! I've done most of them myself (I'm homeschooled too~) so I can be proof that it works lol :) I checked out your instagram and I absolutely love the totes that you're selling! I left a comment on your latest post, can you guess my username? (if you do, please send me your guess either by email or as a private msg :P)

    I also write over on my own blog (here's the url: http://cora-eve.blogspot.co.uk/) but I've recently hit a little block :S But I'm working on it ^-^

    Your blog is lovely! And your Tumblr is so thought provoking, I love reading your text posts especially :) Keep up the good work :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for your advice ,, really help me .. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice tips! Me also love to sleep earlier and study early in the morning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice tips! homeschool is kinda cool too, i always wanted to try this before!

    ReplyDelete